About the Employability category

Unemployment is a major problem affecting people around the world. ILO estimates that more than 61 million jobs have been lost globally since the start of the global economic crisis in 2008, leaving more than 200 million people unemployed. Over the next decade nearly 500 million jobs need to be created to absorb those currently unemployed and the 40 million new annual entrants to the labour market. Close to 90% of this job creation needs to take place in the developing world, primarily Africa and Asia. Rising youth unemployment, especially for young women, is one of the most significant problems facing economies and societies today, in developed and developing countries. The youth unemployment rate is nearly three times that of the rest of the population.

Despite the availability of workers, record numbers of employers (45%) report difficulty filling jobs with people with the right skills and knowledge needed and the ability to continually adapt to the role.
At the same time, in order to respond to global challenges, workplaces need continually to change work practices and processes and, as a result, employees need persistently to upskill and learn.
This brings into question the ability of education institutions to prepare people adequately for the workforce.

This employability online forum will explore the identified issues examining problems related to the preparation of people for the workplace. The forum will consider the changing nature of work, for example, what it means to be ‘employable’ to work in ways that tackle global challenges. With emphasis placed on innovation, new models of partnership working between education and industry will be explored. Participants will discuss what education and training systems need to do to adapt to enable people to continually learn skills and knowledge to maintain their employability. From this perspective, there is no end point to learning and people have to be equipped to learn across their whole lives to be able to adapt to changing workplaces. Participants will consider the mindset and skills educators themselves need to develop to support the development of this form of continual lifelong learning to enable people to remain employable.
Ideas from the forum will be assimilated into a ‘green paper’ on the future of education to support employability in ways that address global challenges.

This category is one that touches most of the youths that are completing there first degrees. One of the constant challenges is the request for experience a company ask for as they are advertising for Jobs. The request being 5 years and more experience, where do they expect the youth to have acquired this. As a result most of the youth are left unemployed.

I suggest all parties concerned with skills developement should include work based learning in their programmes so that trainees can have their first hands on experience which can help them as experience to qoute in their job searches. Moreso WBL experience gives trainees the much needed experience, work attitude and work invironment exposure

I concur with h.bayigga. The experience issue is very challenging to the graduate who has just exited training. Even if he/she joins on probation ,the old staff is usually not willing to assist the internee to learn the trade. Worse still is that employers have this sad tendency of renewing contract for their staff. The question is when will the young generation start working and what are they learning from this system? Does it mean that if I keep the information I get to stay longer in the system?

Regards

Also, companies are now reluctant to give allowances, the question is where are these young people supposed to get money for bus fares, lunch and soap? The other issue is that they tend to be frustrated and want out of the internship exercise, the lack of support is extremely frustrating!!!

This is a serious issue in most places. I have seen that some companies let the fresh graduate to enroll as on the job trainees where prior working experience is not considered. but some graduates reluctant to join as they say the salary during the training period is not up to their expectations.

As i am aware in some developed countries financial assistance is given to those young population until they find an employment. But in the developing countries that is not a practical implementation. in my idea the university graduate must be encouraged to be a entrepreneurs and they should be financially assisted (in a form of long term loan scheme) in the process.