About the Opening up education category

Opening up education is a broad concept that became popular with the establishment of the UK Open University. The ‘open education’ movement now encompasses open educational resources (OER), open science, open educational practice (OEP), Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC), open pedagogy, open textbooks as well as ‘traditional’ open entry, flexible learning. This sub-theme will focus on how all these approaches can be used to improve access to education at all levels, and particularly with a focus on lifelong learners. Ways of improving access can encompass the use of any of the forms of open education, and institutional models to flexible learning, such as public-private partnership, accrediting informal learning and the use of technology to support online, flexible learning. The aim is to explore new models of learning and evaluate the implementation of existing approaches to foster open education. Perspectives can include student learning, designing open education, delivering learning opportunities, and managing learning organisations.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarity on this broad concept. I particularly like the idea of lifelong learning and the fact that there are plenty of resources that people can access to support their studies and daily activities. Moreover, the availability of these open resources means that knowledge is not ‘owned’ by anyone, it is to be shared to all who desire to access it. This is a challenge that as we access learning materials developed by others, we must also contribute to knowledge for others to benefit.

Many countries offers technical and professional programs too through Open distance education mode. But few countries like India still not open in above subjects.
Acually if monitoring and quality is maintained and compulsory hands on training is imparted under supervision . Nothing is impossible to reach the unreachable.

Its a good start and i think, when we are discussing and deliberating on dimensions of “Opening Up education”, it may go beyond the current convention. Open education may see a future in going beyond the institutional boundaries. with Open Badges coming up, a learner may complete a module from one university and other from any other, just to give it a formal programme shape, minimum credits can be fixed to classify the programme as diploma or degree but there should be no compulsion to complete whole programme from any one institution.

what i feel, in India problem is not with ODL institutions or system, problem is the multiple regulatory authorities and colonial mindset of people sitting there who still believe that technical and skill development programmes can be successful in only face to face system.

1 Like

True ODL is mode of learning and teaching. I agree multiple regulatory bodies and professional councils do not allow to offer technical and professional programs in India.

Although there is need and students are willing to take admission as they are not able to get leave for study or they have to quit job.

Thanks for raising the issue of “badges”. Micro-credentialing is for us in the South African Department of Higher Education and Training a big issue. We do not question the merits of it - we agree on it. But what we are doing is to develop high quality OER that is self directed and modularise so that learners can learn and record their learning (and receive a badge to acknowledge that learning has taken place). However, the issue is now arising, how can a government department, that is not a provider, do assessment and provide credentials? We tried to argue that online assessment in this case is formative and diagnostic and not summative. But it seems it does not hold water. Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

A great question on the nature of assessment in Badged Open courses. I don’t think I have an answer for you but perhaps we can give examples of formative and summative assessment we have come across in open education resources.

For example I am mid-way through a Badged Open Course from the Open University, which has both formative assessment in the weekly quizzes and summative assessment in a mid-way quiz and end point quiz. We can be innovative in how we assess and if our pedagogy relating to assessment is sound then we can have confidence that learning is demonstrated through the assessment.
So I guess your question relates to how a government department or other non-provider can have that confidence in open education assessment?

Catherine