Joint teacher education programs through ICT

As ICT shrinks the world then why not using it for professional development of teachers jointly particularly involving technologically advanced institutions. This approach will help those institutions which are facing lack of HFPR(human,financial, physical resources).
Is it not a Nobel cause?
What do my friends of this forum think?
Come and save the institutions by using ICT usefully " an inexpensive way"

A warm welcome to the forum Naveed Sultana and thank you for this new topic and exciting proposal to jointly offer professional development for teachers. Let us hear what others think. I am sure that many institutions and organisations have ideas to share and perhaps even OER content to share…

At National institute of Open Schooling, India, we just concluded the training of about 1.5 million in-service untrained teachers at Elementary level (class 1-8) and Teachers having Bachelors degree in education but teaching at primary level (class 1-5) through ODL mode using technology and MOOC platform SWAYAM (swayam.gov.in). Mutiple delivery channel were used including online portal, Mobile App, DVD, DTH television.
ODL with optimum utilisation of ICT has great potential in providing teacher training particularly in-service teachers.

A warm welcome to these discussions SK and thank you for this contribution. What an undertaking indeed to train such a massive volume of teachers - more teachers than in some of our countries in total.

It is impressive that you used a wide variety of digital resources open to you - I am assuming that DTH is the satellite TV available in India and am I also correct in assuming that these resources are open for other countries to use?

It is great to hear from you. We also engage with e tutoring in distance mode but formal system needs same provision. But for making the teachers globally well conversant at least at higher level joint efforts among different institutions of different countries or one or two may be considered.

I will address this topic from the Agricultural Extension Services point. Agricultural Extension officers are teachers that need to be trained and put through the use of ICT. In most countries today, farmers are using smart phones to buy inputs, connect to the market and doing business. It will be nice if Extension Officers can be a little ahead as a teacher to educate the farmers more and their families. Villages are now being connected with internet which will improve the farming family livelihood but we work more to improve teacher education in the ICT for effective transfer of technology.

Thank you for raising these issues @Labi - and particularly for raising this under this topic of sharing joint teacher education programmes through ICT.
If you need more course materials - there are some courses that come to mind that contain content that might be relevant to you. One is from the World Bank - ICT in Agriculture: Connecting Smallholders to Knowledge, Networks, and Institutions - https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/27526 and an Agshare course - funded by Bill and Melinda Gates - http://agshare.today/about-agshare-today/ that was an agribusiness course developed for Kenyan small farmers https://www.oerafrica.org/FTPFolder/Agshare/Agribusiness/pages/Introduction.html

Dear Janet,

Thank you so for your advice. In fact we will like to have these courses done in Antigua for Extension officers and farmers . Please give me more assistance on how to go about. It can also be conducted in Antigua for the OECS countries. This is the Organization of East Caribbean States.

Labi

Dear Labi
I am so pleased that you found these resources useful. The content is available for you to use for Antigua and Barbuda - but I have no further information around whether these courses are being facilitated anywhere. If you could try to find out from those sites and I will also. Perhaps the OECS or even the Caricom secretariat could also trying contacting the two bodies who produced the content?
kind regards
Janet

This is a very crucial point and contribution, in my country the teaching of ICT is emphasized mainly for students and ICT professionals are the ones hired to teach the students ICT but i believe training in service teachers and pre service teachers ICT skills would make a very big difference in the teaching and learning process.

a warm welcome to the discussions Aduno Mary Freda and thank you for this wise input. I am sure many others will agree with your belief that teachers should be training students and that using ICT technical people to train students in ICT skills has little impact on teaching and learning. Far greater improvement in learning outcomes can be achieved when teachers are able to infuse the technology when they need it and when it enhances the topics they wish to teach. I hope I have not misrepresented your viewpoint

Hi, Labi,
As Janet @janet advised, anyone in OECS region can enroll in and take the courses, They are online courses open to everyone in any part of the world, so long as they have Internet connection. The other suggestions Janet gave are also very nice. What I do to help disadvantaged people benefit from useful online courses, in my context where Internet connectivity is unavailable to some people, is to enroll in the courses myself. After completing a course, I organize face-to-face training meetings to share the knowledge. You may like to adopt my approach (and probably persuade a few colleagues who will co-facilitate with you to also enroll) if you think Internet connectivity is difficult for many persons in Antigua.

Lest I forget: One thing I do as I take such an online course is to print (electronically, not on paper) a page (that is, a lesson) before I move to the next. I end the file names of my printed pages with serial numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.). At the end of the course, I put all the pages I printed in a folder. The folder can be burned into CD/DVD-ROM or flash disks or memory cards and shared to interested persons who then access that copy of the course offline using their computers or mobile devices. I do the printing and the sharing ONLY because the courses are open or Creative Commons resources. Copyrighted courses CANNOT be copied and shared that way without prior permission of the creators/publishers.

Do you see these additional options as helpful?

1 Like

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you so much for this suggestions. I will let all my district officers apply to participate in the courses and they can re educate the farmers in their districts.

Labi

excellent Labi @owo_labi_1 that you should find this advice helpful. Chris @udochukwu.njoku has certainly mapped out detailed options to make these courses possible and practicable for you. Thank you so much Chris and best of luck with sharing these courses Labi.

1 Like

Thanks all.

Labi

1 Like

Yes. sometimes one can have the infrastructure and it is so costly to find resource person. In that case it is a good method and there is a possibility to live streaming of some important lectures from reputed universities. i think it would be a low cost alternative.

i also noted that when i was referring some research papers for one of my project. i think you have done it well to meet the requirements of the one’s who desperately need to be updated and there is no possibility of physically present for a workshop or a training program. this will be highly benefited for the teachers who work in rural area.

I also believe that the infrastructure is there as the mobile technology is relatively cheaper with respect to personal computers.

What we have to do is to bridge the mobile literacy.

Thank you for returning to these topics @cnaleen Each of the points you have made are very valid. A new question might be how we achieve that - “to bridge the mobile literacy”

ICT is a kind of common knowledge now. The difference you mentioned may due to the lack of exposure and opportunities they have with respect to the others.

another reason can be the infrastructure and human resource issue as i found that the problem in most of the places is not merely the fact that the technology is expensive. Even with the availability of technology there are places where there is no proper teachers.

1 Like