Open curriculum

Continuing the discussion from Week 1 Summary:

Some great questions, so I have used them to launch a new topic,
Regards,
Catherine

Thanks a lot, Catherine. So much to talk about. We really need a global re-evaluation and redefinition of the concept “education” if it must be inclusive, equitable and able to produce the intra- and entrepreneurs our societies are in dire need of.

Last week,open curriculum was mentioned from the perspective of higher education teachers sending their students to take courses of other colleges that run online programmes:

I’m seeing open curriculum from an additional perspective.
http://discourse.col.org/uploads/short-url/gVyqvgbXuWrWJcKE8tvXyq9OrfQ.jpeg
From the 4 principles of andragogy (adult learning) on the figure above (taken from https://bit.ly/2AIdjhF) it seems clear that open curriculum in higher education means also involving adult students there in drafting their curriculum. Do we agree to this? I wonder if there’s anywhere this is happening. If we agree that it’s worthwhile, in what ways can it be done in the present situation where what’s common is the wholly opposite principles of child learning (pedagogy) that takes care of mainly the characteristics of teenage students (who are the children) of higher education?

1 Like

I agree it is time to redefine term education, open distance learning, and concepts related to these terms.
Attitude and vision of professional bodies regarding open distance education needs deliberations.

Education definitely needs to be redefined if its aims and objectivess on the individuals and society at large must be met going by definition “Education is the modification of an individual’s behaviour for adequate adjustment in the society”. It is clear education, especially in most developing countries is not channeled towards the above definition.

I agree, student involvement in curriculum design is essential and open curriculum coupled with us all being humble and accepting equal status in its creation is a cultural shift we need to acknowledge.

Can we find examples of good practice of local or regional educational practice that does try to do this? How would we recognise success? A question to you all.

I am not sure whether I entirely buy into that definition of education. To me, education is much broader than that (including intellectual development, for example). I’m also not sure we want to encourage too much conformity

I have mixed feelings on this. Whilst I am a great champion of students as partners, there has to be room for the expertise of the educator, too, I think?

For example, psychology students of any age are rarely enthusiasts for statistics, but I wouldn’t think it appropriate for them to be able to remove statistics from their curriculum!