The Technology discussions so far

Towards the end of last week, we reviewed the topics that had been under discussion up to that point. (http://tinyurl.com/y39de594) There have been some excellent contributions and interactions subsequently.

Thanks to @drnaveeda, @oitiretset @jcmallet and @ihusain1979 for creating new topics under the Technology sub-theme.

• The use of social media in online learning is needed in education
  • Mixed Technologies in a Diverse Society
  • Use of ICT in ODL
  • Effective use of digital tools and resources for transformation
  • Joint Teacher Education Programmes through ICT

Please feel free to pick up any further points for comment under those topics and to continue to address the original questions that Tony posed at the start of the discussions,

….whether the evolution of new technologies and learning platforms like MOOCs, augmented and virtual reality learning environments and microlearning have been successful in realizing flexible, personalized, work-based learning. Are there ways to train a learner to prepare them to become lifelong learners? Is the use of technology in education all that it takes? Are there successes or has this debate over-emphasised the potential of technology for lifelong learning?

The most dominant theme early last week was how to encourage colleagues and students to embrace an online culture @ksthill including the use of social media for learning. There were many experiences related to student use of online tools including WhatsApp groups - some had very positive experiences to bring to the discussion @neerjasood and @lgoitsemang and sound deliberations around the distractions of Fbook Chris @udochukwu.njoku

Towards the end of the week @Naveed Sultana urged participants to share resources through the technology available to us and some participants generously shared. @skp Prasad from the National institute of Open Schooling, India in particular shared the URL swayam.gov.in which contains a vast wealth of online courses freely available. Participants shared links and references to specific resources

Chris @udochukwu.njoku has been very actively involved throughout and drew our attention to the fact that many institutions offer ODL without fully appreciating how to make their courses interactive and motivating. @selom.michael added his views and asked the following questions:

• Are learners ready to embrace these new concepts?
  • Are institutions or universities ready to adapt to these new cultures?

@Chris @udithaw and @ulrick.sutherland debated the relative merits of institutional internal use of LMS and @gonwodi drew our attention to “street wise technologies”

Perhaps some participants may have concerns or experiences good or bad that might help others cope with the challenges we face in the digital learning space?

This summary is superlative, somewhat like a ‘weave’. :+1: Janet.

There are. Giving them information literacy is one way. Learners need to learn the importance of seeking and putting relevant information/knowledge in whatever one does, where and how to find, evaluate and extract information - libraries, information centres, Internet; books, newspapers, other publications, experts, peers, videos, audio, and so on. What do we think about role-modelling - being an example of a lifelong learner and being ready to tell of its impact on you? May make learners accept it’s possible and beneficial? I know other colleagues know other ways. Can we have more?

I don’t think so. I see reading habit and a curious mind as other imperatives. Another question is how do teachers / instructors help learners develop these?

Successes or evidences abound. I’ve noticed that we always look for success stories outside, forgetting that ourselves are examples of success in the subject. For example, I’ve done many online courses in different areas (public health, information technology, teacher professional development, data science, etc.) and I’ve been applying the knowledge and skills I got from them to my employment, mobilizing and training rural people for livelihoods, organizing and facilitating in training events effectively, etc. Is our participation and knowing ourselves and exchanging knowledge freely in these valuable online discussions (which may not ever have been possible) not in itself a huge success with technology?

Such rich and informative responses Chris - particularly around methods of developing our students to become lifelong learners . I love the way you point out that this free exchange of ideas would not be possible without technology - and then as usual you ask more questions of the rest of us :smile:

Into week 3 - To pick up on some aspects of the lifelong learning discussion – we started off by questioning the assumption that providing technologies would lead to lifelong learning Kelly @ksthill

Then last week Chris @udochukwu.njoku gave us ideas around training learners to become lifelong learners. These included:

1. Giving students information literacy
  2. Imperative to have a reading habit and a curious mind
  3. Learning the importance of finding, evaluating and extracting information
  4. Providing libraries, information centres, with Internet; books, newspapers, publications, videos, audio.
  5. Giving access to experts and discussion spaces with peers
  6. Role-modelling - being an example of a lifelong learner and being ready to tell of its impact

Another issue last week was innovative technologies particularly the ibox. Kelly @ksthill followed up with Joshua @jcmallet about this and included the aspect of monitoring and evaluation which became a new topic of its own: Monitoring and evaluation of digital tools and resources