Week 1 Summary

Dear All,
Here is my summary of some of the key points that have emerged over the last week. Please do carry on discussing these further, or perhaps you might take one of the points identified below and start a new topic to explore it more fully. To everyone who might join our discussions this week I will keep earlier topics open then we can continue to add richness and diversity of thought and experience.

I will just quote a few examples to illustrate the key points.

Week 1

What do we mean by Open Education?
The broad consensus was that key to Open Education were the principles of accessibility, independent learning, flexibility, regardless of location. Within that other themes have begun to emerge.

Many participants have identified Open Educational Resources (OER)

The relevance, timeliness, digital format and flexibility of OER have been commented on by many, for example,

I will return to OERs later in this post.

A number of contributors mentioned Open Access publishing of journals and text books, and the relevance of Open Text allowing adaptation, updating and contextualizing for the independent learner

Another point raised by contributors I will call Open Pedagogy, development and sharing of methodologies in teaching, learning and learner support:

Returning to the OER some issues for discussion and sharing of experience were around the concept of recognition.
For example the recognition of appropriate assessment

Or recognition of the merit of Open skills development programmes?

As well as recognition for the learner recognition of the benefits to the educator and his/her employer was noted with suggestions on how to encourage institutional ‘buy-in’

Or even when new ‘non-open’ curriculum is being created at HEI or other education providers, then OER can be produced simultaneously at little or no additional cost.

Another suggestion around use of OER also requires us to think about Open curriculum, the suggestion that within HEI we might send our students to explore and use OER of other institutes, for example completing MOOCs or other badged open curriculum

I hope this summary serves as a catalyst for further discussions in the coming weeks.

Catherine

Great summary.
One concept I’d like us to explore further is open curriculum.
HE (higher education) is an advanced stage of education. Many learners here are adults, a good number of whom either had once worked or are still working. This means that there are HE students who are looking for particular knowledge and skills. Questions are:

1. What are the gains of tying such students down studying what they don’t really need?

2. Is it possible to get them involved in drawing up their curriculum, and if ‘Yes’ what are the advantages and disadvantages to the learner, on one hand, and to the society, on the other hand?.

1 Like

Thanks for summary

To me, i thinks there isn’t any gain forcing a student to study what he really don’t need. There is practically no way such student will do well in such endeavor as he/she interest is diverted, hence his/her best cannot be put into such study.

great summary

Thank you :slight_smile:
I hope you enjoy the discussions here.
Catherine