Welcome

Hello,

Welcome to the Equity and Inclusion discussion. My name is Alice Peasgood and I will be moderating this forum. I am an educational technology consultant and researcher. Previously I worked as a full time academic at the Open University, UK, in the area of access to education.

I have seen the positive effect education can have upon people’s lives, and I am fascinated by the opportunities and challenges of using technology.

If you like, please add a short message below to introduce yourself and your interests.
Looking forward to sharing thoughts in this forum.

Alice

Hi Alice

I am Naleen from University of Moratuwa, a technical university in Sri Lanka. I am enjoying teaching English and English Literature a hobby over one hand half decade, I do believe that technology can help learning and I have lot of experiences related to that as I am working with engineering students as well as social science students. My present research in on mobile learning to promote lifelong education.

I am presently attached to Artificial Intelligence Lab of the Department of Computational Mathematics.

Hope that the coming weeks will be full of new knowledge and experiences.

Naleen

Hello All
I am Buckman Akuffo from Koforidua Technical University, Ghana and glad to meet you all here.

I am the Director of the Institute of Open Distance Learning in my university. Two of out flagship program are the Artisanal Empowerment and Reverse Learning

I hope we share and learn from one another and spread the news about Equity and inclusion. No one need to be left out of this global age of creating sustainable growth and making the world a better place for us all.

Cheers

1 Like

Welcome Naleen, I look forward to hearing more about your research.
Alice

Welcome Buckman Akuffo. The programs on Artisinal Empowerment and Reverse Learning sound very interesting. I look forward to finding out more about them.

Alice

This is very interesting. :+1:Whenever an automobile mechanic is working on my car and I unhappily watch them gamble for a solution to the car’s problem (by fiddling with components; no thinking, no analyzing, almost zero brain work) I resume wondering why even our polytechnics and universities of technology still shut such artisans out with too-formal and theoretical requirements. Very many of these people can be turned into geniuses in their trades and into technological transformers if they’re given opportunities through customized education.to develop critical thinking, analytical and several other skills essential for competence in their vocations. We and society as a whole suffer their mediocrity because everything about our education systems in most of Africa are very unfriendly to them.

Hi Alice, Naleen and Buckman,

It’s my pleasure to be here with you. I’m Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku of Computer Communications Centre, University of Nigeria. I have teacher training and educated also in biological and library sciences and information technology. I lead operations, innovation and training to equip staff and students with skills to effectively, efficiently and safely use ICT to transform how we teach, do research, learn and deliver other services for best outcomes. I’m passionate about education reaching everyone and giving them the kind of knowledge and skills they need to be optimally productive in whatever they choose for a living and in society, irrespective of gender, age, race, physical condition, location, intellectual ability, economic status or whatever that may pose a barrier, That’s my motivation for joining in this and other discussions I believe we’ll pool great ideas here that can launch us beyond where we have been in action

:+1: Me, too. Interestingly, I’m a beneficiary and have passion for helping as many people as possible to benefit also. In this regard, I personally had trained a number of academics in University of Nigeria and am developing an online course to scale up that and reach also education policy makers and administrators. *To meet our expectations, the education journey with technology needs to be that of all stakeholders, especially the primary players: learners educators, policy makers and administrators. Do you think so, too?

Welcome Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku,

Thank you for starting the discussion. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences in innovation and training.

Alice

1 Like

it is great to hear about your contribution and vision. i believe that it is the willingness that make things possible. :slight_smile:

Hello

My name is Shadreck Balisi. I work for the Botswana Open University as a lecturer in Social Sciences. I am interested in the democratisation of the education system. I believe this forum will discuss this a lot with a focus on issues of access, equity, inclusion and empowerment

Welcome Shadreck Balisi and thank you for your comments about Topic 1. I am looking forward to hearing more about democratisation of education.

Best wishes,
Alice

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your contributions. If anyone would like to start their own topic, please go ahead. My contributions have been brief, because I see my role as facilitating, so this is your space for discussion.
Maybe my messages have been a little too brief, so I’ll warm up and join in more as the week progresses. It feels quite amazing to have people with such a depth and range of experience here.

I did spend some time gathering useful resources, so I’ll put those in another topic, starting with the general areas such as progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals. I’ll add other resources as we go along.

Thank you and best wishes,
Alice

This had me thinking about what we mean by ‘equity’.Often, it seems to mean ‘equivalent opportunities’ for people in a range of circumstances. Perhaps we can also look at equity from a different perspective, in terms of ‘equivalent status for different types of learning or knowledge’ ?

Theory and book-learning are important, but are they more important than vocational or artisanal ability?

Best wishes,
Alice

I think both meanings of equity are valid, @Alice. By ‘equivalent
status for different types of learning or knowledge’ I understand you
mean giving a vocational institute graduate the same recognition as a
university graduate, for example (for in Nigeria, for instance,
4-year Higher National Diploma in engineering obtained from a
polytechnic is of less value than 4-year bachelor in engineering from
a university; holder of the former is treated as an artisan; holder of
the later is an engineer; yet the former ideally involves better
practical training that equips its holder for better performance in
the field than the later). If that is correct, you see that in
reality, we perceive theory and book-learning as more important than
vocational or artisanal ability. I believe education should be built
on what knowledge and skills are you bringing into the society, not
on where or in which type of institution did you acquire your
knowledge and skills from; or was your admission based on 5 A-passes
including this or that subject or on 3?

This echoes my experience in the UK. We used to have polytechnics, which offered technical and vocational degrees (often including a year of work experience), and universities, which offered more traditional ‘academic’ subjects. As you may know, in 1992 in the UK, polytechnics were renamed as universities, so that distinction was removed.

In the 1980s, computer science became a new degree subject. Because the polytechnics were better connected with industry, they moved more quickly than the old universities to deliver high quality courses. So in computer science, it is still high status to have ‘polytechnic’ listed in your qualifications (or to do comp sci at an ex-polytechnic).

I wonder whether something similar may occur in other areas where new technologies and subjects are emerging?

What do you and others think?

Just to bring some strands together, @udochukwu.njoku and @akuffo.buckman have made points about artisinal education. This then raises the question of the status of different educational experiences within society.

Within the topic on recognising success, there are points about benchmarking and what to include in shared goals.

Just wondering whether there is a question of what happens within the educational organsation, and what is cultural or societal? And how we influence those?

Also, although there is a separate theme for technology within the PCF9 forum, when we talk about diversifying provision, there is a technological aspect. How do we consider that in terms of equity and inclusion?